Everyone is familiar with ZZ Top’s music, but how much do you really know about them? Read on to discover 10 interesting facts about the band here.
- The ZZ Top band members name are Billy Gibbons, Dusty Hill and Frank Beard
- The band was created in 1969 in Houston, Texas,
- The band has an unchanged line-up stretching back to 1970
- They have a global album sales in excess of 50 million, hold six number-one singles on the Billboard Mainstream Rock chart and achieved four gold, three platinum, two multiple-platinum album certifications, and one diamond album
- Before becoming famous, Billy Gibbons was designated as “one of the young best guitarists in the U.S.” by Jimi Hendrix during his stint in the Tonight Show in 1969
- They appeared in several movies and series, such as the fair in Hill Valley in the film Back to the Future Part III or in the musical television film Mother Goose Rock n’ Rhyme
- The song Flyin’ High appropriately made its world premiere in space when a pre-release version was played on spacecraft Soyuz in June 2011 on request of their long-time fan and friend, the astronaut Michael Fossum, during his travel to International Space Station
- The Band decided during one of their live stage shows to have vultures, buffaloes and rattlesnakes on stage, but the buffalo rammed into a tank full of rattlesnakes and released them live on stage – Source
- Billy Gibbons is a great fan of Belgian band Telex, to whom he has several times sent letters of congratulation and invitation to concerts.
- They refused a $1,000,000 offer from Gillette to shave their beards for an ad
Enjoy a playlist with several music videos from ZZ Top